Saturday, November 18, 2017
I have posted about some of the craziness with my neighbors in the past. A quick search pops these other posts of mine up if you're bored:
Anyway...my long-time neighbor to our left...not sure if I mentioned him before. He gets pretty crazy drunk a lot. Knocks on our door when he's drunk and babbles crazy shit.
Few years back his wife all of a sudden left in her car with their kids. My neighbor tells me that his wife's mother is sick, and she's going away to take care of her for a while. But she never comes back. The story changes to his wife got a job in Pennsylvania, so they're just going to live apart for a while.
Yeah, they're divorced now.
Anyway. He recently started hooking up with some other girl. She's apparently recently divorced from her husband, but they still have a thing. At one point her husband came over at about 4am in his truck, pounded on my neighbor's door. (I feel like I blogged about this, but can't find the post)
Then this girl moved in with my neighbor, but a few weeks later he threw all her shit out on the porch and told her to leave.
But now they're back together again. Sorta.
Two nights ago my neighbor knocks on our door. He's like, "Did you see somebody come by my house yesterday?" I didn't. He says a bunch of stuff is missing from his house.
Then last night I walk out the door to get a slurpee and the girl is across the street. She sees me and rushes over. "Hey, can you drive me to my house?"
I'm a little confused, and of course, I really want nothing to do with any of this shit. She says, "He went crazy, threw me and my TV out." I look, and can see a flat screen TV laying in the yard.
"Where do you live?" I ask her. She tells me "right up the street".
I say fine. We drive up the road a bit and she's like "Make a left at the light", and I realize, this is not going to be right up the street. Then she gets a call. It's one of her friends, who has already come to pick her up. She's like "Take me back, my place is pretty far away anyway."
I pull a fucking U-turn right there in the middle of the road and take her back. She's like "You're such a sweetheart", and I'm thinking that if this happens again I'm gonna murder her. Her friend is waiting in front of my house as I pull up.
Haven't heard from my neighbor since, but I can tell you that he's gonna hear it from me. I don't mind if he wants to fuck crazy chicks, as long as he keeps me out of this shit.
All that and the fucking slurpee machine wasn't working when I got there.
Thursday, November 16, 2017
Anyway, my wife LOVES stupid shit.
I can't post this on FB, cuz she'd see it. Technically she's on there, though you wouldn't know it because I made her account and gave her a fake name on account of some of my "fans" on FB who decide that because I'm "friends" with them, they should be friends with all of my relatives too.
So we're on the blog for this.
I'm a 110% functionality over form. I don't give a shit what ANYTHING looks like as long as it does its job. That pot holder keep me from burning my hand? I don't care if it has a picture of a giant cock on it.
My wife is the opposite. "Oh my gosh, that pot holder is SO pretty, let me get it!" and then the fucking thing doesn't work AT ALL.
Case in point. Our kitchen trash can. We used to have one of those rotating-top ones, you know. You put a piece of trash on it and it swivels so the trash drops in. Worked PERFECT.
But she saw this AMAZING trash can that has a sensor so we you wave in front of it or put trash near it, the top pops open and stays open for like 5 seconds and then shuts again.
Let's say you're peeling carrots or a banana, or anything that requires that trash can to be open for more than 5 seconds. You are fucked. You are waving at this thing multiple times.
And then changing it? You gotta pull the top off(and when you do that, the sensor pops open the lid, making it all the more annoying)--then you have to pull the entire interior trash can out just to get to the trash bag for removal.
It's a piece of shit.
How about the bathroom? Used to be a spray can in there for when smells got bad. Now we have an automatic THING that sits on the back of the toilet and randomly SPITS odor things at you. So you're peeing in the middle of the night and all of a sudden--HISS!--this thing spits at you, startling you.
OR, you're taking a shit, and it decides that's a great time to spray you in the back. Awesome.
The ultimate example of this was when we got out new oven a couple of years ago. I didn't know until we had a pumpkin party, but she had put a big mat on the bottom of the oven. To catch grease or something, but it looked mostly decorative to me.
Problem was, we turned on the oven and it wouldn't heat. Couldn't figure it out at all until I looked inside and saw that she'd covered the vents on the bottom of the oven. SHOCKING that it wouldn't work.
Man, this blog post really broke some ground, didn't it? That's gonna be like 5 minutes you'll never get back.
Tuesday, November 14, 2017
Took a little break from the movie last week. Then this past weekend I hit the wrap again. Added in the foley and looping and video that we picked up a while back that I'd neglected in my prep for the Fountain segment.
Went through the whole wrap and tweaked it, fixed some little spots that were bothering me. Pretty much the only things not done are the two VFX shots we're working on. Otherwise it plays through pretty well.
Now I'm working on the opening and closing credits of the film. Rendering the opening flare takes like 2 hours, and it's like a 10 second shot.
Also working on some other shit.
Hey, did I mention the final tally of books sold in October? 63. That's pretty good. Did over 30 books in September, so nearly 100 books in two months, and the weird part is that I've sold 13 in November...even though the holiday is behind us...
The movie's continue to be SUPER slow lately. October was, by far, the worst month of streaming I've ever had. No idea why.
Man, this year has flown by. Thanksgiving next week, Xmas right around the corner...
And fuck the cold weather. I've already had enough of it. When's spring?
Wednesday, November 08, 2017
Turns out we were lucky that actress forced me to cancel. An unexpected rain moved in the entire weekend, so it would have screwed me anyway.
Had a relaxed weekend. Watched some decent UFC fights. Saw Thor. (it's a lot of fun)
Then, since we had the camera rental anyway, me and my brother Mike decided to go out to an abandoned asylum I had just found out about. I took my drone.
We head with a rough idea of where it is, but not sure where we're going to park; the place is supposedly guarded, so you have to park on a side road and walk in through woods.
I drove--and we pulled to the side of a road and got out, started walking towards where we thought it was. Immediately three people come out of the woods where we're going. Some guy and two attractive girls.
He yells to us--tells us not to park there, cuz the guards will drive by, see the car, and know somebody's on the grounds. He tells us where to park--down the hill where they're going.
I drive us down there, and we meet the guy. He takes girls into decaying places and shoots nudes and partial nudes with them. He's actually super talented too. Has some great shots. He gives us some instructions on the best way to go about not getting caught. It was a real lucky run-in.
Mike and I head in, and I realize from Google maps that this place is like less than 3 miles away from that big bad agency that spies on us. So no way am I flying a drone there.
Moving through the woods is a path, and just to get the mood set quickly for visitors, there are asbestos masks hung along the trail, leading the way.
We cross through a creepy one-story building that's the best way to stay off the main road and make your way to the big building.
In that creepy building is all sorts of creepy stuff. Broken piano. Adult-sized cribs. Weird restraining chair. Lotta graffiti, some of it very good.
Like this one:
And like this mushroom with grass growing near it.
That last one is me, getting ready to go in. I took my steel baton. Ya know, to clear spiderwebs.
We hustled across the road and I heard the big golf cart that the guards drive. It passes our road farther down, not turning in. We make it to the main building. This is the back side of it.
We went inside. The place is supposedly haunted. I didn't get that vibe, but it's certainly creepy. And something weird happened when we first got on the premises.
I was having a VERY hard time focusing crisply with the camera. This is the same camera and lens I've shot a TON of Ttory 1 and 2 on, and I've never had issues. I mentioned it to Mike.
He ends up using his camera while I shoot with the rented one, and he gets the same problem with a lens of his. He thinks his lens is broke. But then he uses Live View rather than the viewfinder, and he can see that it focuses fine.
I do the same thing, and yeah, it's fine. So for some reason both camera's viewfinders showed things blurry when they weren't. Pretty odd.
One of the rooms I found had VERY IMPORTANT information about my past. I was very happy to find this out, and will let my parents know I found this out when next I see them.
This is bottom floor:
We were looking for the morgue, but couldn't find it. It was weird, we thought we scoured every floor, but the layout is weird.
It started getting dark FAST. And lemme tell ya, if you think it's creepy during the day, you are gonna LOVE the night...
We saw this cool graffiti on our way out:
We realize we didn't take a great look at WHERE we came in from. We know what direction, but we can't find the exact entrance to the woods that we took. So we take another trail, and eventually find our way out of there.
It was cool. I think we'll go back and explore some more, find that morgue, and there's also apparently a mass grave that may actually have some bodies starting to show up due to ground erosion and not-too-deep burials.
This was me getting ready to head into the darkness when we first got there.
Anyway, I figure this weekend I'll start taking a serious look at finishing all of the pieces of Ttory 2 that I have done. Starting with the main story.
Thursday, November 02, 2017
Called the whole shoot off. Feels pretty good, actually.
See, did I mention that one actress who auditioned for TWO segments(not including this one) and that I cast in this segment based on those two auditions--she's gone MIA. Couple weeks ago I'd asked if she was available for this coming weekend, and she said yes.
We've heard nothing since.
Zig thought she'd responded to his original emails when I put him on the job, but she hadn't.
I tried today to recast the role at the last minute, but couldn't get someone. Good news for my brother, cuz he's got a free camera for the weekend to go out and shoot whatever he wants. Better news for me, cuz I guess I can go see Thor this weekend, plus there's a PPV UFC fight I was gonna have to miss.
I'm gonna stop sweating this segment, as it's clearly cursed. I'll shoot it in the spring, you know? Meanwhile I'll work on the putting together the rest of the flick. People ask me--"So when's it gonna come out?"
And I have to reply, "I have no fucking idea."
Went out to a party with the wife last night. Lotta young people there. I put together a last minute costume--grabbed one of the many vintage clown outfits I have, and because I didn't want to put on greasepaint--I just grabbed a latex mask we used in GOH.
And let me tell you--this thing TERRIFIED people. Kids didn't wanna come into my yard. My wife didn't want to look at me.
I wish I had someone qualified to take a picture with a real camera so you could see it well, but here's two pics of it from a shitty iphone:
This is most of the people at the party toward the end. You can sorta see me there in the back.
Meanwhile, I successfully did the 31 day challenge. Here they are, with some small commentary after each.
1) Cult of Chucky - Decent fun, but you gotta see the previous one or you'll be pretty lost
2) Prom Night 2 - A fun 80's horror flick. Had never seen it.
3) Hell House llc - not bad for found footage. Had some cool parts, and bonus for being set near Halloween.
4) Don't Kill It - Pretty so so
5) Young Frankenstein - Man, I forgot how hot Terri Garr was...and did she just stop acting?
6) Little Evil - Didn't impress me. Not funny or scary for the most part
7) Demonic - Pretty by-the-book horror flick
8) Rec 4 - decent if predictable for the most part. Doesn't end like the "finale" of the series that it claims to be.
9) The Reaping - funny, I'd never seen this. It was okay. Had Charlie Brewster from Fright Night in it.
10) Old 37 - Pretty run of the mill with a terrible ending
11) The Barn - I don't wanna bag on this too much, cuz these guys are basically in my realm of budget, but I don't get what all the acclaim is about. The script is BAD, man, which I could forgive if it had a lot of good gore, but it doesn't. The pumpkin guy looks cool and the miner is okay, but the scarecrow is really bad. Dunno.
12) Friday the 13th Part 4 - Still fun.
13) The Babysitter - This was one weird movie, but I liked it. Funny, quirky horror flick.
14) We Are Still Here - Decent little haunted house movie with some familiar faces.
15) Saw 2 - haven't seen it in a long time. Still pretty entertaining.
16) Happy Death Day - Mediocre, but not bad.
17) Pumpkinhead - one of my favorites
18) The Bat -- so so, little goofy with how it's aged
19) Death Spa - Fun, ridiculous 80's movie. (it was technically released in 1990)
20) Dark Places - Turns out, not so much a horror film. Not very interesting either.
21) Boys In The Trees - Boring. Set on Halloween, so I was hoping it would be good. Gave up at the halfway mark. Still counting it.
22) 1922 - I don't remember this story--can't remember if I read it or not. But I enjoyed the Netflix original adaptation.
23) Residue - Some new movie on Netflix. Not good.
24) Halloweed - So dumb, but somehow has a ridiculous charm anyway. I wasn't even stoned, but if I had been it probably would have been a lot of fun.
25) The Incubus - Mildly interesting little 80's flick. Not great, but probably would have really liked it had I seen it when I was 11.
26) Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 - You may find this hard to believe, but I've never seen this flick. I'm not much of a fan of the first film so I never gave this a shot. It's not terrible, but is too goofy for my tastes on the whole. And this Leatherface sucks compared to Gunnar's...
27) Saw 3D The Final Chapter - I'd just said I hadn't seen this, and it's on Netflix so I figured what the hell? It's okay, though I was a little lost because I can't remember the convoluted mess of the storyline after 2. But of note--the director of this one is the editor of every Saw movie EVER.
28) The Rezort - Been in my queue for a while, finally got around to checking it out. It's okay, but you know how some people are like "I'm so sick of the zombie genre?" Well, I'm not, but I am getting tired of the subset of that, which is people running from point A to point B while being chased by zombies. Obviously it can be done well--Train to Busan just did it, but for the most part it's getting old...
29) Cabin Fever 2 - Still fun. And hard to believe it's a Ti West movie, because stuff actually HAPPENS in this movie! Hell, more happens in the first 5 minutes of this movie than in ALL his other movies combined...
30) Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein - Loved this as a kid. Still enjoy it.
31) Halloween - I really wish I had time to watch part 2 right after it, but I crammed this in at 2:30am Halloween night. It's one of those movies I wish I could go back and see for the first time again.
Anyway, relaxing. I'm gonna finally get around to cleaning up all my equipment that's been lying around. I have to figure a place to store this Fountain, and some of my other props...