Saturday, November 28, 2015
Anyway, the list of irritants continues, along with me coughing 24-7. My lungs hurt and my head hurts, and the only thing I want is Slurpees followed by hot showers. That's it.
But what I'm thinking is just another reason why I fucking hate the upcoming generations. And it is this:
Why do they keep hailing as genius shit that limits their abilities? What do I mean?
Well, Facebook's cool. "I like being able to post my thoughts." NEW GENERATION: Know what would be cooler? If I had to limit it to only 140 characters! GENIUS! Hence Twitter.
"Youtube's great!" NEW GENERATION: Know what would be cooler? If those video's couldn't be longer than 7 seconds. GENIUS! Hence Vine.
"I like posting pictures to Pinterest and Facebook." NEW GENERATION: Know what would be cooler? If I could only upload photos taken on my phone, and only through an app on my phone. GENIUS! Hence Instagram.
How the fuck is all that genius? It would be like the dude who invented the car suddenly saying--Hey, know what would be cooler? If the steering wheel only turned left. GENIUS!
Friday, November 27, 2015
Did I tell you what the hotel wanted to charge for wired internet access? Let me just show you--you won't believe it. This is for TWO DAYS.
Came back and felt like I was getting sick.
And yeah, boy, did that happen.
Coughing pretty bad. Almost didn't go to my parents' house for Thanksgiving. Went, but didn't get too close to anybody, and washed my hands constantly.
Then today I got up and coughed so hard that I threw up. I haven't been to the doctor for a cough in 30 years, but today I went. Bronchitis.
Not sure I ever had that before. They gave me some stuff. Some cough medicine with codiene that I took, and that knocked me out.
Oh, bonus for when I got back from NY. My wife tells me I can't use the bathroom at all, or any running water. Our main water line is blocked. We have to have roto-rooter come out, it's that seroius. My dad even came over to take a look and concurred.
Know what that costs? $499, the second they bring in that big metal clearing thing. That's the minimum.
They did clear it, but still...
This is a pretty accurate article on lies distributors tell.
We shot the pickup stuff for the wraparound. The FX did look better. Still have some issues but it's workable.
Am really feeling like I wanna get back on the writing bandwagon and finish some of these goddamn scripts I've been writing for years. They are--and the purpose of this is to shame and remind myself:
That ridiculous-premise one that sounds like an Asylum movie
The Creepers one
Trailer Park One
Night of the Cs
"Backyard"--I started this one nearly nine years ago, not sure I'll ever finish it
The other found footage one
Now, these are the main ones, but I've got a bunch of new ideas including a "superhero" one. Given that I owned a comic store for 17 years, I'd get the question a lot about why don't I write a superhero movie but I simply never had an idea that interested me.
I do now, but only the beginnings of it. Not sure where it would go, but MAN is it an opening...
Thursday, November 12, 2015
Yay, more woods!
The guy who's going to do a T-tory segment called me and said Hey, let's get together for a meeting. I was like, okay. It turned into, Hey, let's go look at this location and see if this cross is still out there.
According to the internet, it was.
So we went out there. Had to hike around a bit, up some some steep hills. Lotta cool scenery though, and yes, the cross is still there.
Also, this pit of hell:
No idea where it leads. We didn't go in there. The location looks to work though. He wants me to shoot it, and I'm afraid I have to because otherwise I can't guarantee it'll look good.
I'm putting my foot down though on that it can't be more than 3 shooting days. The shoot out in the woods shouldn't take more than a couple of hours. All the other stuff is interiors.
The weird thing is how many other people were wandering around here, even in the dark. I think that'll be the worse part of the shoot--trying to control other looky-loos while we're shooting. The place is supposed to look desolate.
Perkins, the guy in the photo, who's doing the segment seems to want to work with me on other stuff. Says he knows some money people. This is the third time he's said "We should really work together". I'm all for it. He's a cool guy I've known for years who has MASSIVE connections with everything and everyone.
Only problem is that I think he wants to work on getting his script set up first, and I'm not sure where I fit in there. It doesn't sound like something I'd want to direct. Don't know--am trying to stay focused on T-Tory. Gotta get it done, and done well.
Got some paid work--shot a video, am editing it. Then got the wrap pickup to prep for today, then shoot tomorrow.
All that, and mutherfucking Fallout 4 came out! Am playing it sparingly between working.
Still sweating a 5th segment. Should I write it? I feel like I'm sort of committing the second I put words on the page.
If I'm rambling it's the oxy.
Thursday, November 05, 2015
Dunno, we're talking to someone else about doing a segment. My big thing is that I need it to be GOOD.
How do I ensure that? By approving the script and probably being DP. And if I'm going to be DP on something, I'd just as soon write it myself.
So it's all a big fucking trap.
Sunday, November 01, 2015
Looking back though, it was a pretty great Halloween. Granted, I didn't get to do nearly as much stuff as I wanted, but here's what DID happen...
- Put out a book, like an actual book. People seem to dig it. I'll never make any significant money from it given the criminal royalty rate, but all in all I'm very happy with it.
- Got featured on the COVER of a newspaper for the release of the book.
- Watched a bunch of Halloween-themed movies and shows. Brooklyn 9-9 continues to KILL it in the funny department. Only actual Halloween movie I watched was part 6--it's on Netflix, so I played it in the background. Sucky movie, man.
- Went out with the wife two nights in a row. First night to the local premiere, and got to see Return of The Living Dead on the big scren, followed by the T-tory teaser I made. More on that later. Anyway, next night the wife and I hit that bar we normally go to on Halloween weekend. Saw a cool band, danced a bit. Got pretty drunk. Threw up a bit. BUT, got laid two nights in a row. Ask any married dude who's been married for more than 5 years--you'll see what an achievement that is. :)
- Took the kid out Trick or Treating. Got some pics, got some video. How many kids have their dad's taking 4K video of them trick or treating? Here's what he looked like:
- Anyway, re the teaser we showed. Lot of people came up and asked about--seemed impressed. A guy who NEVER talks to me suddenly was real interested in chatting with me about what I was doing and how I was doing it. Most said it was the best trailer of the bunch they played. One person threw the backhanded compliment that "It looked like a real movie, like you'd see in a theater."
Here it is if you haven't checked it out:
Anyway, back to editing the wrap. Will be shooting a pickup for it on Friday the 13th. Will have a rough cut before then so I know exactly what I need.
And I should have a good idea of whether it all comes out too short, thus forcing me to go shoot another one.